During the course of his research on the John Muir Memorial Shelter for its entry on the Register of National Historic Places, Foundation board member, Doug Harnsberger, located the original structural and architectural plans of the Shelter, as well as a wealth of historic photographs taken at the time it was constructed by the Sierra Club in 1930. The shelter clearly had a prominent finial at the apex of its stone roof which was both part of the original design and was constructed on site. It is pictured below in a photograph of the 1933 dedication with a young Ansel Adams standing in front with his tripod. The finial was either destroyed or lost during its 88-year life since it was first installed. It is not present on the Shelter today.
Using a quality stone mason for its construction, the Foundation would propose re-mounting it on the Muir Shelter’s roof to restore its original condition, after coordinating with the NPS at Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park.